Friday, March 1, 2013

My Live Interview on Fox News

Remember those dreaded pop-quizzes in school? You try desperately to absorb as much of your scrawled out notes as possible in the five minutes your teacher graces you with. The cool teachers were always the ones who warned you about the pop-quiz the day before. My life as Miss NY USA is one pop-quiz after another. Events are scheduled last minute, plans are changed, and interviews pop up without much notice. But that's just the nature of the business. And I love it. It keeps me on my toes and hungry for more. So when my Fox News tour/ meet and greet, turned into a live on air interview with an audience of a couple million, I was thrilled! Thrilled and absolutely terrified at the same time. However, there was no time to be nervous, I had some serious studying to do.

If you happened to watch my interview with Neil Cavuto, (and if you haven't you totally should) we discussed Mayor Bloomberg's ban on large sugary drinks. I was told this would be the topic, and I was asked to pick an opinion. While I knew about Bloomberg's actions and the uproar in response, it's not a topic I go preaching about. I don't drink soda, or ice-tea, or Gatorade even. It's not my thing, but we all pick our poison. As Miss New York USA, I am an advocate of health and fitness, so undoubtedly, I agree that no one needs that much soda. I splurge like everyone else on treats, but I do so in moderation, which is something not many people think about. Upon picking my side to debate, I did as much research as I could. Who wants to feel stumped on live tv?

Now, I am very happy with my entire experience at Fox News. The staff was more than accommodating, the crew was beyond professional, and the hosts/anchors made me feel very comfortable. Neil Cavuto definitely challenged me and my opinion, but I think the segment made for excellent tv. Who doesn't love a debate? I learned that I deflect to jokes and charm when I don't know what to say, and I say "umm" entirely way too much. We can fix the "umm"s.

Then, I received my twitter/ Facebook responses. This was not something I even thought about. I didn't have time to. Who might I offend with my opinion? Apparently, quite a few people. I joked with my publicist about the hate tweets. That means I've really made it! I'm not upset by the less than favorable comments. These people are entitled to their opinions as much as I am. Not everyone is as lucky to have their views broadcast to the country, so they do so in whatever outlet they can. I love learning about all sides to an argument, so please, if anyone really wants to educate me, you are more than welcome to do so in a private message. I will read it.

However, in response, just a few things. I am actually very educated. I graduated summa cum laude from a great university. While I was a theatre student and do not know much about business or politics, I opted to take classes in social and medical ethics, biology, and personal finance, because I actually enjoy learning new subjects. I consider all sides to an argument before forming an opinion. I'm a libra. It's what I do. And my grandfather ultimately died from type 2 diabetes. He was a naturally thin man, but his high sugar diet really took a toll on his health.

I hope that this post gives everyone a little more insight into my first experience with a live tv debate. I may even want to have a media/ hosting career in the future. Who knows!

Watch the Live interview here!


No comments:

Post a Comment