Sunday, February 24, 2013

BK has some serious talent!

I love a good talent show. No surprise there. So You Think You Can Dance. The Voice. America's Next Top Model. I love seeing young people work hard and doing something they have a real passion for. I myself, am a talent show veteran. In middle school, I always looked forward to spring, when I would inevitably perform a dance to a Michael or Janet Jackson song, choreographed by my sister. I became known as "that girl who can moonwalk." Talent shows taught me how to be professional, how to captivate an audience, and was a way to define myself apart from "back-brace girl."

All that said, I love seeing these kids perform in the All Stars Talent Show, and I love being a judge! It's cool being on the other side of things. This was my second time judging the show. I feel like no matter how many times I may be involved, I will never quit being in awe of these kids. The creativity, effort, and professionalism they bring to the stage inspires me. We don't censor our performers, so their rap lyrics and dance moves are their truest form of self expression. And to top it all off, it feels great being surrounded by such a positive and supportive audience. The community is gathered together creating one giant performance of appreciation.

Yesterday's winners were a rap duo. I likened them to Jay-Z and Drake. They were my top scorers because of their energy and confidence. They looked and acted like pros up there. Hopefully they will invest their $500 winnings in themselves, and I'll see them on the Grammy's some day soon!

Here are some photos from yesterday's show! If you want to learn more about The All Stars Project or even become a volunteer, check out their website. www.allstars.org









No comments:

Post a Comment